The Grand Hotel
Client: Hortons’ Estate
Role: Contract Administrators, Quantity Surveyors and CDM-Coordinators
Sector: Hotels, Regeneration
PMP Consultants are appointed by Hortons’ Estate, who originally constructed the building between 1877 and 1879, as Contract Administrators, Quantity Surveyors and CDM-Coordinators on the programme of works to extensively refurbishment and extension of the original buildings.
The works comprise a number of discrete projects:
- Refurbishment of external facades to remove layers of cement and paint, Removal and repair of stone work, re carving and profiling and removal, repair and re-installation of 180 windows
- Removal of Grade II* listed roof and replacement with a steel structural frame, to form new suites for the hotel over two storeys
- Refurbishment and conversion of existing accommodation to create 10,000sqft of Grade A office accommodation
- Refurbishment of ten retail units including new shopfronts
- Extension to internal courtyard to form service areas and plant space, bedrooms and new external terraces
The building was on Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register for seven years and there were fears that elements of the façade were beyond repair, but working closely with Historic England with the benefit of a £200,000 grant, and appointing a Midlands based specialist restoration contractor, the facades were able to be brought back to their former glory. The scaffold which had shrouded the building since 2003, was removed in early 2016.