Derwent Works, Mary Ann Street
Client: Javelin Block
Architect: Glancy Nicholls
Role: Quantity Surveying & Project Management
The project is the retrofit and full refurbishment of Derwent Works, a mid-nineteenth century Jewellery Quarter industrial building. The scheme sets out to convert the existing building and convert the space into 40 large and airy apartments. The design carefully integrates historical features, including the original windows and internal steel trusses, ensuring the heritage of the building is preserved and importantly, keeping it very much at the heart of the design.
The Grade-II listed building, which dates from the the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, was originally constructed as a foundry specialising in producing metal works and a wide variety of machinery for Birmingham’s booming metal trades, including presses and stamps. It was home to Taylor and Challen and founded in 1852 by Joseph Taylor. The company developed rapidly over a 70-year period, following the common pattern of expansion within the Jewellery Quarter, facilitated by a large pool of skilled labour in the city.
The project is due for completion in spring 2021.