Piccadilly Arcade, Birmingham
Client: Hortons’ Estate
Role: Quantity Surveying
Sector: Commercial/ Heritage
Piccadilly Arcade, built in 1910, is a historic arcade located in Birmingham city centre. The building was first opened as one of the first cinemas in Birmingham, but was shut down in 1925, shortly before its conversion into Piccadilly Arcade Shopping Centre. The cinema’s original frontage can still be seen above the Stephenson Street entrance.
The project itself was a refurbishment and restoration project including the installation of new entrance doors to Stevenson Street and New Street elevations, brought to life with the help of professionals from Align Architecture, Hortons’ Estate and Cundalls. Special attention has been given to retaining original features, such as the hand-painted ceiling mural, and importantly being sympathetic with the design while bring the arcade up to modern standards.