It’s all systems go on our Mary Ann Street project in the Jewellery Quarter, which started on site last week
The project is the retrofit and full refurbishment of Derwent Works, a mid-nineteenth century Jewellery Quarter industrial building. The scheme sets out to convert the existing building and convert the space into 40 large and airy apartments. The design carefully integrates historical features, including the original windows and internal steel trusses, ensuring the heritage of the building is preserved and importantly, keeping it very much at the heart of the design.
The Grade-II listed building, which dates from the the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, was originally constructed as a foundry specialising in producing metal works and a wide variety of machinery for Birmingham’s booming metal trades, including presses and stamps. It was home to Taylor and Challen and founded in 1852 by Joseph Taylor. The company developed rapidly over a 70-year period, following the common pattern of expansion within the Jewellery Quarter, facilitated by a large pool of skilled labour in the city.
The building is vast and stretches across three streets; Water Street, Livery Street and Mary Ann Street. The Water Street entrance was the building’s primary facade, with the Mary Ann Street entrance housing the main offices for the company.
Images of the proposed design
The project team consists of;
Architects – Glancy Nicholls
Developer – Derwent Lofts Limited
Design – Javelin Block
Structural Engineers – CWA
M+E – Halligans
Main Contractor – Mac Group
And with the site located just ten seconds from our Water Street office, you can expect a lot of photos and project updates!
Photos – Anne-Marie Hayes & Glancy Nicholls